Monday, November 4, 2013

Ornament Garland DIY

I have been wanting to figure out how to make an ornament garland for a while.  Last year around this time I saw an ornament garland on Etsy but it was $400!  Yeesh!  I figured that just like my deco mesh wreaths, I could figure out how to make one!  I did a little googling and found out they are are a cinch to make!

First stop - Target for the balls (TWSS, right Kristin?)!


Chimi was curious.


Emo moment - the annoying part of these particular ornaments is that they aren't cheap, and two of them were cracked!  One was also unusable because the glue they used to adhere the ornament top on was glued over.  Grrrrr Target!!  Quality please!



Moving along!  I started by taping my ribbon to a slim point, and stringing the ornaments in ROYGBIV order (duh).





Such a pretty project to do!  As you can see the girls were very impressed!


I decided I do want one more box (3 boxes total) so it does hang off the edges of our mantle a bit.  Right now they barely hang off and it looks a tad short.  Pretty sure it is just the preteen in me still traumatized from not finding long enough pants.  #tallgirlprobz




Hooray for an easy and fun project!


Now onto the next Christmas craft!

Follow me on Facebook!

15 comments:

  1. I love this project. I will have to recreate this next weekend as we want to have a Christmas cocktail party and I need to get on my decorations soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so fun! Yes, this would be perfect for that! :) Happy cocktailing and decorating!

      Delete
  2. That reminds me of this Christmas craft I've been wanting to try. http://inmyownstyle.com/2011/12/tabletop-knitting-needle-ornament-tree.html

    How do you end up securing the finished garland to your mantel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't put it up yet! So that could be dramatic. Haha!

      That tree is too fun!!

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful, can't wait to make. How many ornaments did you end up using total?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it! Each box had 50 ornaments and I used 3 boxes, so 150 ornaments total (minus the 6 or so that came broken in the box).

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful, can't wait to make it! How many ornaments did you end up using?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your blog and I'm so excited to try this! I had to do a double-take on the last picture you posted with the garland though...that bowl above your head looks like you are wearing a giant metallic hair bow!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much!

      Haha! I know! It's the new trend in bowls on your head. :)

      Delete
  6. The garland is beautiful! Are the ornaments on one piece of ribbon? If so, did you just alternate them up and down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! One ribbon! You really don't need to spin them up and down, as you push them they kind of do that on their own. It's magic! :)

      Delete
  7. What type of ribbon is this? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek! I have no idea. Cheap, I do know that! :) I have had it for a while laying around. You can seriously use any!

      Delete
  8. Did you need to glue the tops to the ornaments down so they didn't pop off as you add more ornaments? I made a wreath once and actually took all the tops OFF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't! I have knocked it off our mantle many times and when they hit the ground some of the balls separated from the tops so I did have to glue those ones back on. :)

      Delete