Monday, November 12, 2012

Joni's Chicken Chili

Now I am not known for my cooking skills (come on mom - you had to keep all the skills to yourself?) but if I find a recipe that looks yummy, I will make it!  If you want a blog full of amazing recipes, go to Iowa Girl Eats!

I first had Nate's Aunt Joni's chicken chili at the yearly Christmas gathering two years ago and couldn't have enough of it!  Aunt Joni is already one of those people you want to be like and be around - stylish, talented at everything, creative, and ridiculously caring.  So of course she is a master chef as well!  She kindly shared it with me, and we eat it all the time!  It is too good to not share.


Aunt Joni's Creamy White Chili
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 medium onion (we use pre-chopped frozen onions, shameful I know)
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbl olive oil
1 can Great Northern Beans - rinsed and drained (you can use more, I am afraid of beans)
1 1/2 can (14.5 oz cans) chicken broth
2 cans (4 oz cans) chopped green chilies
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
8 oz cream cheese (I added this to her recipe - I add cream cheese to everything.  This is not necessary)


In a large pot saute the chicken, onion, garlic powder in oil.
Add beans, broth, chilies and seasonings.  Bring to boil.
Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, heavy cream and cream cheese (if you added).  You can either eat right away or put in a crock pot on warm to serve at a party!
Crunch Frito's on top of each bowl.


2 comments:

  1. I made this today and it's so yummy! Thanks for sharing! ��

    ReplyDelete